Job Opening: SPCC currently seeks to fill position of Settled Pastor
Shepherd Park Christian Church (SPCC)- The church with the Heart of the Shepherd. We are the Christian Church – Disciples of Christ, a movement for wholeness in a fragmented world. We are governed by our congregational leaders, organized to promote the work of the church and to advance God’s Kingdom.
SPCC is seeking a settled Pastor to serve and lead the congregation in God’s mission. In addition, the settled Pastor will in prayer, supplication, and discernment empower and resource the congregation in carrying out its individual and corporate mission and ministry. The role of the Pastor is to assist the Elders in overseeing the life and direction of the church. The Pastor will have a firm grasp on the purpose, values and strategy of the church and the ability to align ordained and lay staff and key leadership teams with its mission. The Pastor will offer pastoral leadership to the congregation alongside clergy and lay ministers. The Pastor will ensure that the systems, practices, and policies of the church responsibly and effectively support its ministry activities.
Overview: The settled Pastor is responsible for providing pastoral leadership and administrative oversight of the church’s ministries, including worship, music, preaching, teaching, mission service, stewardship, and fellowship. The settled Pastor will support the congregational efforts to serve local community outreach/ world missions as the body of Christ. He/ she will work with the church staff to provide opportunities for members to engage in worship, discipleship, and mission. He/ she will use his/ her leadership skills to assess the congregation’s current and long-term needs and provide inspiring counsel to help the church identify who we are called to be in the future. He/ she will be expected to lead and uplift the morale of the church and assist families with the loss of a loved one as it relates to separation anxiety.
Accountability: The settled Pastor is accountable to the Shepherd Park congregation and the vision of the Christian Church – Disciples of Christ.
- Set as a guideline of personal behavior the standard required in 1 Timothy 3:1-7 and 1 Peter 5:1-4.
- Provide an outstanding biblical-based preaching and teaching ministry.
- Prepare for and conduct worship services; lead in the observance of the ordinances; and, lead the church in proclaiming the gospel to the church and community.
- Preach, lead in worship, and provide a teaching ministry that will lead to the spiritual growth of the members and awaken them to an active outreach to their neighbors in evangelism.
- Support the church’s ministries, committees and other groups, including the church board and pastoral relations committee.
- Lead and inspire the congregation in the development of new ministries, motivating the lay leaders of the church and being available as a resource person to them.
- Administer sacraments of Communion and Baptism.
- Perform wedding ceremonies and conduct funeral services.
- Work with deacons, church officers, and committees in performing assigned responsibilities. Be available for and lead in training as needed.
- Cooperate with and lead the church in cooperating with associational, state, and denominational leaders. Keep the church informed of developments within the denomination.
- Support congregation efforts to serve the community outreach missions as the Body of Christ.
- Graduate of a nationally recognized seminary or divinity school
- Ordained Pastor
- Experience as a settled pastor and/or interim pastor
- Possess strong interpersonal and effective communication skills
Salary will be offered commensurate with the candidate’s experience, preaching, teaching, time commitment, and pastoral skills.
How to Apply: Interested candidates are asked to email their resume and references to
Attn: Reverend Allen V. Harris, Regional Minister
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) Capital Area
Accepting resumes through June 30, 2017